AS the world continues its period of what can only be called madness, a few examples quickly come to mind:
- The USA national defence budget for the coming year is likely to be $750 billion. This is to compete with the extra defence spending by China and Russia.
- Politicians continue to argue and dither about climate change. Changes in Antarctica, the Arctic and the Amazon should be ringing loud and urgent alarm bells. Because climate scientists are cautious and conservative, the rate of their predicted change reflects this. In reality, climate change is happening faster than their predictions.
- Future generations will puzzle over how Australia could continue to export millions of tons of coal, as well as discussing plans for new, coal-operated power stations.
- Arguments and finger-pointing by politicians about the devastating condition of the Murray-Darling Basin and its rivers will achieve very little.
These are just four examples of what are, in my opinion, present-day madness.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS AND VIEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...