I am opposed to Housing Plus' plans to attempt to fit 28 units into such a small site in a residential area.
My grounds for objecting to the development are are follows:
- The block is too small to try and successfully accommodate 28 units.
- Forbes Road is an extremely busy highway and the additional traffic entering and exiting such a development would add dramatically to an already serious traffic problem. If each unit occupier has a least one car that would cause a huge problem both entering and exiting the complex plus the additional visitors cars trying to enter and exit. Approximately two years ago there was unfortunately a pedestrian fatally injured whilst attempting to cross Forbes Road in close proximity to the proposed development.
- Garbage collection. There would need to be up to 80 bins, one for rubbish, one for recycle and one for the green waste, to adequately cater for 28 units, and current Orange City Council rules and the garbage contractor require the bins to be left for pick-up on Forbes Road, not inside the development as shown on the plan.
I sincerely hope council will carefully consider the above, and also the objections by at least 95 concerned residents living nearby.
- Sewerage to supply such a number of units would require a huge amount of earthworks and would certainly destroy the roots of most of the existing trees that are currently on the site.
- There appears to be no area provided for children visiting the occupiers' to play apart from the footpath or road, creating an extremely dangerous problem, and wheelchair access to nearby shops would be impossible as no concrete footpath exists.
I sincerely hope council will carefully consider the above, and also the objections by at least 95 concerned residents living nearby that attended the meeting last Sunday and unanimously objected to the proposal.
John Swain, owner-occupier of unit 4 at 80B Forbes Road
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS AND VIEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below …