A woman who says she was sexually assaulted by former Melbourne lord mayor Robert Doyle wants an apology from council for being "grossly let down" by their investigation.
Kharla Williams fired numerous questions at a panel of councillors during Tuesday's Future Melbourne Committee meeting, claiming she had received misleading legal advice and insisting that an independent report into claims against Mr Doyle be released.
"I trusted in your organisation and I have been grossly let down in so many ways," she said in a shaky voice.
Ms Williams says Mr Doyle touched her leg during a Melbourne Health dinner in 2016. She is one of numerous women to make complaints about Mr Doyle's 'inappropriate behaviour', which sparked an investigation by Ian Freckleton QC, who is yet to complete his report.
"As the victim of sexual assault by your employee I do not agree with the City of Melbourne's position. I have a right to a full report into Freckelton's investigation," Ms Williams said.
"I seek closure and ... I seek to move on with my life."
Last week, Ms Williams took her complaint to police at the suggestion of council lawyers.
But City of Melbourne CEO Justin Hanney on Tuesday noted that court proceedings could prolong the matter as he confirmed council had reached a secret deal with Mr Doyle.
The "deed of settlement" means Mr Doyle will drop planned Supreme Court action which had meant an injunction on Dr Freckelton progressing his investigation.
"Dr Freckelton QC can now complete his investigation and provide his report," Mr Hanney said.
"That would not have been possible if the City of Melbourne had lost the case, or if the City of Melbourne had won, however Mr Doyle appealed."
The confidential agreement includes that council will not pursue Mr Doyle for legal costs.
"I acknowledge and empathise with Ms Kharla Williams who is upset and frustrated by the slow progress of the relevant legal processes," Mr Hanney said.
"But the City of Melbourne has done what it can to clear the way for Dr Freckelton to complete his investigation and report as soon as possible."
Mr Hanney said "nothing of significance is being withheld" as a result of the deed and that it does not prevent publication of Dr Freckelton's report. However he said there are further considerations to be made before the document can be released in full.
As part of the ongoing investigation, Dr Freckelton will seek to interview Mr Doyle.
Mr Doyle has previously said he is too unwell to be interviewed.
Lord Mayor Sally Capp committed to keep Ms Williams updated with progress.
"Certainly the focus is on ways in which the City of Melbourne can conclude this report to achieve an outcome as soon as possible," she said.
Australian Associated Press