Two new roundabouts will be built in Orange as part of an $8.5 million road safety investment announced by Deputy Premier John Barilaro on Thursday.
The one-lane roundabouts will be constructed on the intersections of Hill Street and Matthews Avenue [$600,000] and McLachlan and March streets [$650,000].
Orange City Council will also receive $190,000 for improving the Lords Place and Franklin Road intersection with kerb extensions and raised islands with extra stop or giveaway signs.
This funding will help prevent the loss of lives and serious injuries.John Barilaro, Deputy Premier
The funding will also see $500,000 provided for installing roadside barriers, widening road shoulders and line marking on the Mitchell Highway between Orange and Wellington.
The Cabonne Council area will receive the largest portion of the funding with $3.4 million to be spent on installing safety barriers and line marking on the Mitchell Highway at Guyong plus $750,000 for similar work near East Guyong.
MAP: Where are the locations of the new roundabouts …
A further $470,000 will be provided for safety improvements at the Lake Canobolas and Cargo roads intersection.
Mr Barilaro said the aim was to improve road safety.
"This funding will help prevent the loss of lives and serious injuries incurred from road accidents," he said.
Nationals candidate for Orange Kate Hazelton said the work was vital as there had been several accidents on key roads to be improved.
"It's important people feel safe when driving on our roads," she said.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...