Orchardists and growers whose fruit and flower crops were damaged in a hail storm last month have been invited to an information night where they can get advice about claiming government assistance.
NSW Farmers Orange branch chair Bruce Reynolds said the meeting was at the Canobolas Hall from 6pm on Thursday January 10.
Mr Reynolds said government representatives would attend to discuss assistance.
Parts of Orange City and Cabonne Shire council areas were declared an agricultural natural disaster by the state government.
Primary Industries minister Niall Blair said it meant growers could access low interest loans of up to $130,000 to repair damage to their orchards.
He said the damage bill was about $4 million.
Grower Guy Gaeta said he would attend the meeting but was concerned the low interest loans did not go far enough.
Mr Gaeta said the government should provide “some type of small grant” to assist affected growers.
“They think they are doing a great job, but they’re not, it’s a cop-out,” he said.
Mr Gaeta said he understood the low interest only applied for two years and after that borrowers had to pay the full rate.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletters delivered to your inbox, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below ...