TWO of Orange’s wine producers have been celebrated at the NSW Wine Awards’ trophy presentation on Friday, taking out three awards between them.
Tamburlaine Wines picked up the NSW DPI Award for Best Organic Wine and the MultiColor Trophy for Best Other Red Varieties for its 2017 Orange Reserve Malbec.
Chief judge Dave Brookes said the “vibrant, crunchy fruit” notes in the wine wowed the judges.
“A revelation this year was the alternative varieties category, which was hotly contested with a raft of gold medals,” he said.
Its Orange entries took out five gold medals in September, with another gold going to one of its Hunter Valley entries, which managing director Mark Davidson said was the highest number at the show.
A revelation this year was the alternative varieties category, which was hotly contested with a raft of gold medals.Chief judge Dave Brookes
“The malbec has won successive years with the 2014-17 vintages – that says a lot about not just Orange, but the capacity to grow interesting, great varieties,” he said.
The malbec, described as a medium full-bodied wine with soft tannins, also came close to winning a prestigious Timmy Watson Memorial Trophy at the Royal Melbourne Wine Awards on October 12, with judges telling Mr Davidson it was a near second.
“We’ll be aiming to win it next year,” he said.
Meanwhile, the CiSRA Trophy for Best Sparkling Wine went to Printhie Wines for its NV Swift Cuvee Chardonnay Pinot Noir.
“The sparkling category was very impressive this year,” Mr Brookes said.
“Printhie won because it showed great complexity and plenty of energy and vitality, providing wonderful drinking.”
- Tamburlaine Orange Reserve 2017 Shiraz
- Tamburlaine Orange Reserve 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Tamburlaine Orange Reserve 2017 Malbec
- Tamburlaine Single Vineyard 2017 Cabernet Franc
- Tamburlaine Orange Reserve 2017 Merlot
- Swift NV Cuvee Chardonnay Pinot Noir
- Angullong 2017 Fossil Hill Rosato
- Printhie 2018 Mountain Range Pinot Gris
- Angullong 2017 Fossil Hill Riesling
- Colmar Estate 2017 Sauvignon Blanc
- Colmar Estate 2015 Chardonnay Pinot Noir
- Swinging Bridge 2017 Hill Park Chardonnay
- Tamburlaine Au Naturel Preservative Free Sparkling NV Chardonnay 8
- Tamburlaine Hunter Valley Reserve 2018 Semillon Verdelho
- Tamburlaine Orange Reserve 2017 Chardonnay
- Tamburlaine Single Vineyard 2017 Pinot Noir
- Printhie 2017 Mountain Range Shiraz
- Printhie 2017 Topography Shiraz
- Angullong 2016 Shiraz
- Angullong 2016 Fossil Hill Tempranillo
- Angullong Wines 2016 Fossil Hill Sagrantino
- Angullong 2017 Fossil Hill Barbera
- Brangayne of Orange 2018 Rose Shiraz
- Brangayne of Orange 2015 Shiraz
- Brangayne of Orange 2016 Shiraz
- Brangayne of Orange 2016 Tristan
- Colmar Estate 2017 Pinot Gris
- Colmar Estate 2016 Block 2 Chardonnay
- Colmar Estate 2018 Pinot Rose Pinot Noir
- Colmar Estate 2017 Block 1 Pinot Noir
- Colmar Estate 2017 Block 3 Pinot Noir
- Cooks Lot Iconique Barrique 2016 Chardonnay
- Cooks Lot 2016 Iconique Barrique Pinot Noir
- Cooks Lot allotment 1010 2017 Shiraz
- Cumulus Wines 2016 Climbing Cabernet Sauvignon
- Montoro Wines 2013 'Opal Eyes' Sparkling Shiraz
- Montoro Wines 2016 Elegance Pepper Shiraz
- Ross Hill Wines 2015 Blanc de Blancs Chardonnay
- Ross Hill Wines 2017 Pinnacle Series Griffin Road Vineyard Chardonnay
- Ross Hill Wines 2016 Pinnacle Series Griffin Road Vineyard Chardonnay
- Ross Hill Wines 2017 Pinnacle Series Wallace Lane Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Ross Hill Wines 2015 Pinnacle Series Griffin Road Vineyard Shiraz
- Ross Hill Wines 2016 Pinnacle Series Griffin Road Vineyard Shiraz
- Rowlee Wines 2017 Chardonnay
- Rowlee Wines 2017 Pinot Noir
- Rowlee Wines 2016 R Series Nebbiolo
- See Saw 2017 Organic Chardonnay
- See Saw 2018 Pinot Noir
- Swinging Bridge 2017 Block A Caldwell Lane Chardonnay
- Swinging Bridge 2017 Wattleview Pinot Noir
- Swinging Bridge 2017 MAW Pinot Noir
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
Receive our free newsletter delivered to your inbox every morning, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up below…