For the most part, smoke alarms sit on walls and ceilings and are rarely given a second thought.
That is, until it is time to test them and replace batteries, or when they are set off.
An Orange resident got into a flap recently when her smoke detector loudly and randomly went off.
Unable to smell smoke she quickly checked the stove where she had soup simmering then ran to the few power points and devices that were on in her house.
Although there appeared to be no danger she rushed outside just in case and found her neighbours also outside their units, trying to escape their own blaring alarms.
It turned out someone had burnt some toast or cake (it was hard to hear what with all the alarms going off), which had triggered the devices across the entire unit complex.
Until that point the woman had not realised that her alarms were connected with her neighbours’.
Previous times the alarm has gone off she thought it was rats in the roof, but now she knows otherwise she will take the random set offs much more seriously.
DO YOU WANT MORE ORANGE NEWS?
- Receive our free newsletter delivered to your inbox every morning, as well as breaking news alerts. Sign up here