NSW RFS: Bushfire danger period will not be brought forward in Canobolas Zone

THE start of the bushfire danger period might have been brought forward in many areas of the state due to the drought conditions, but at this stage the Canobolas Zone will not change.

Currently, the entire state of NSW has been declared in drought and the extremely dry conditions have led to many NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) districts declaring an early fire danger period.

Many northern parts of the state commenced on August 1, the Chifley/Lithgow zone (which includes Bathurst, Lithgow and Oberon) will start on September 1.

However, the Canobolas Zone, which includes Orange, Cabonne, Blayney and Cowra, will remain at the standard start date of October 1.

RFS Canobolas Zone operations manager Brett Bowden said any change in commencement and the revocation of the bushfire danger period should always be considered with a degree of care.

BLAZE: View of the out-of-control bushfire at Bilpin in the Blue Mountains, as seen from Mount Tomah Botanical Gardens. Photo: TRINA LORD

BLAZE: View of the out-of-control bushfire at Bilpin in the Blue Mountains, as seen from Mount Tomah Botanical Gardens. Photo: TRINA LORD

“By altering the start or finish date we can quite often confuse the general public for several years after as it can appear that it is a fluid routine,” he said.

“This year so far, whilst its dry, there is limited fuel levels and therefore not as dangerous as it could possibly be at a zone wide level.

“The season may well come forward but at this stage there is no intention to commence early.

“We are aware that Chifley will bring the season in as at September 1."

The bushfire danger period in the Canobolas Zone will run from October 1 2018 until March 31 2019.