ACCORDING to Orange Wine Show secretary Justin Byrne, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Shiraz and sparkling are the “hero varieties” of the Orange wine region.
And it seems the esteemed judges of the Sydney Royal Wine Show agree with that assessment.
Orange wineries last week picked up 10 medals at the show, where a record number of 2332 Australian wines were tasted across 66 classes.
All of the region’s gongs were in the varieties listed above: two for Chardonnay, four Pinot Noirs, three Shiraz labels, and a sparkling.
Swinging Bridge headlined the successful campaign by Orange’s wineries, with Tom Ward’s The Escort Way winery picking up four medals at Thursday evening’s awards night.
Mr Byrne said Swinging Bridge’s “strong showing” exemplified the variety of quality wines available at Orange’s cellar doors.
“There was a good spread of varieties and wineries recognised,” he said.
Mr Byrne said winemakers would now turn their awards focus to the approaching Orange Wine Show [OWS].
Held in conjunction with the Orange Wine Festival in October, the competition is limited to wines made from at least 85 per cent Orange-grown fruit.
The OWS opened for exhibitors last week. Winemakers can lodge applications at www.winesoforange.com.au.
All the wines from the OWS, including the trophy and medal winners, will be available to sample at the Orange Wine Show Tasting on Friday, October 12.
The event will be held at the Hotel Canobolas. Tickets are $60, with a Spiegelau Glass included.
OUR WINERIES ON THE PODIUM ...
Orange’s silver and bronze medal winners at the 2018 Sydney Royal Wine Show:
- Chardonnay, 2017: Bronze medals: Swinging Bridge ‘Mrs Payten’; Swinging Bridge ‘Hill Park’.
- Pinot Noir, 2017: Silver medal: Swinging Bridge ‘Wattleview’. Bronze medal: Swinging Bridge ‘Maw’.
- Pinot Noir, 2016 and older: Silver medal: Colmar Estate ‘Block 3’. Bronze medal: Roaring Fork 2016 Pinot Noir.
- Shiraz, 2016: Silver medal: Montoro Wines ‘Artisan’.
- Shiraz, 2015: Bronze medals: Brangayne 2015 Shiraz; Ross Hill ‘Pinnacle Series’.
- White and Rosé sparkling wine: Bronze medal: Ross Hill ‘Blanc de Blancs’ 2015.