Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 800 g beef skirt steak
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 75 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄2 bunch coriander, including stalks
- 1 yellow capsicum. seeds and stems removed, sliced thickly lengthwise
- 1 red capsicum, seeds and stems removed, sliced thickly lengthwise
- 2 brown onions, sliced thinly into rounds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g tin borlotti beans, rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1 bunch rocket leaves, washed
- extra virgin olive oil, to serve
Place marinade ingredients in a food processor and process until finely chopped and almost a paste. Marinate steak for at least 30 minutes in the marinade or up to two hours.
Preheat a char grill over high heat . Remove beef from the marinade and wipe off what you can. Cook steaks 2 minutes on each side for medium rare or 5 minutes for medium and set aside to rest. Wipe pan with paper towel and do not change temperature of pan.
In a mixing bowl, toss capsicum, and onion with oil, salt and pepper then add to chargrill pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes until very soft, add tomatoes and cook until grilled and softened, adding the balsamic vinegar toward the end.
Place rocket leaves on a platter, top with caramelized vegetables and beans, then add avocado slices and top with thinly sliced steak. Drizzle with some extra balsamic and olive oil and serve.
- Serve salad rolled up as burritos in store-bought, warmed flour tortillas as a ‘do-it-yourself’ rustic dinner in the centre of the table.
- Leftovers can be wrapped up in a wrap the night before in foil and toasted the next day for lunch.
- Serve with tinned refried beans instead of whole borlotti beans.
- Substitute any soft cheese such as goats cheese, grated tasty or labne.
More beef recipes from australianbeef.com.au