Work to start on Molong War Memorial after government funding approved

PRESENTATION: Rick Colless, Barry King, Norm Carpenter, Cabonne council mayor Kevin Beatty and David  Bloomfield at the memorial site on Saturday. Photo: Supplied
PRESENTATION: Rick Colless, Barry King, Norm Carpenter, Cabonne council mayor Kevin Beatty and David Bloomfield at the memorial site on Saturday. Photo: Supplied

Work is expected to start this week on building the Molong War Memorial after funding was announced on Saturday.

Molong RSL sub-branch president David Bloomfield said the $13,689 grant from the state government plus funds raised by the local community for the $20,500 project would ensure work could start.

“We are trying to get it done before Anzac Day,” he said.

He said they had been trying for some time to get funding for the granite cenotaph.

“The reason for the replacement of the Cenotaph in Molong is twofold,” he said.

“The original was accidentally damaged beyond repair back in May 2017 and the Cabonne Council have a new plan of management for the Village Green in Molong.

“The Molong RSL sub-branch has undertaken to construct a new Cenotaph in accordance with this plan.

“We applied for several grants, but were unsuccessful.”

Mr  Bloomfield said they approached the parliamentary secretary for Western NSW, Rick Colless, who was able to find the funding.

Mr Colless said the memorial was significant for Molong.

“The Molong War Memorial provides a home for the stories of all individuals who have served and acknowledges the impact of this service on the individuals themselves, their families and communities.

“Many countryside memorials, similar to this one, capture the contribution made by rural towns and villages to the war effort.

“They hold an important thread to Australian history.

“Many people who resided in the Molong district, some who are still living here today, served our nation to give us freedom and the quality of life we have today.

“It is imperative for us to reconstruct this memorial to honour those brave men and women and preserve Australian history for future generations.”

Cabonne Council has assisted the project with the construction of a concrete path and slab for the new memorial to be placed on.

Comments

Discuss "Work to start on Molong War Memorial after government funding approved"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.