BUSINESSES have been urged not to be discouraged from supporting events after some were caught short when Orange hosted the Beach Boys and The Temptations on February 12.
According to a report ahead of Orange City Council’s meeting on Thursday night, seven partially-paid and unpaid accounts totalled $18,863.
Of the amount, about $12,000 was owed to three accommodation providers and promoter Southern Star Touring entered voluntary administration on June 2.
The report recommended the balance of sponsorships should only be paid once businesses received their money.
Deputy mayor Jason Hamling asked about the issue after he heard a media company and motel had been affected.
“I’m pretty cranky about this – how bad is it that something like this comes to town, you have faith in these people and this happens?” he said.
“I just hope it doesn’t put off trust for businesses.”
Orange Business Chamber president Mark Madigan said it was unfair people had been left out of pocket.
“Bringing events to regional NSW has merit and we totally endorse [the council’s proposal],” he said.
The Surf and Soul Tour was contacted for comment.
Has your business been affected? Email email@example.com.