Bikie killing: suspect reportedly flees Australia

Farewelled ...  the funeral of senior Hells Angels member Zeljko "Steve" Mitrovic on Monday.
Farewelled ... the funeral of senior Hells Angels member Zeljko "Steve" Mitrovic on Monday.

The son of a Hells Angels member wanted by police for the alleged murder of a bikie in western Sydney is believed to have fled Australia.

Senior Hells Angels member Zeljko "Steve" Mitrovic was farewelled at St Stefan's Serbian Orthodox Church, Rooty Hill, on Monday after being gunned down at his transport business last week.

More than 300 Hells Angels from around the country attended the funeral of the 45-year-old father of three, along with members from other clubs such as the Rebels and Red Devils.

As Fairfax reported, the alleged murder is linked to an argument over a debt of Frank "Hollywood" Bacic, who went to Mr Mitrovic after trying to get money from another businessman, George Alex.

A senior police source confirmed the principle person of interest includes the son of a current Hells Angels member.

"There has been no retribution from the Hells Angels because it had nothing to do with the club, and the person they would want is now not here, we believe he has left the country," the police source said.

He confirmed rumours that the wanted man appeared to be drug-affected at the time of the shooting.

"It looks like someone who is out of control, someone who is on edge," he said.

Homicide squad police have obtained CCTV footage that captured seven men arriving at Mr Mitrovic's Wetherill Park business on Tuesday last week.

Police said the men confronted Mr Mitrovic at the front of his business and began a fierce discussion that got out of hand. Mr Mitrovic went to his office thinking the row was over but three of the men followed.

Minutes later, one allegedly pulled a gun and shot Mr Mitrovic dead. A co-worker caught in crossfire was shot in the arm.

The shooting was allegedly the climax of days of heated arguments between Mr Mitrovic and Mr Bacic, who is believed to owe another group money.

Fairfax understands CCTV footage shows that Mr Bacic had been bashed and was extremely agitated.

The police source confirmed Mr Bacic is alive, despite rumours another group of men were holding him hostage.

"He's around. He is keeping a low profile, but he's around," he said.

This story Bikie killing: suspect reportedly flees Australia first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.