WORK to transform one of Orange’s most iconic buildings into professional offices is well underway.
By the end of this year, the former Dudley Hospital and Baldock Stacy and Niven building on the corner of Hill and Summer Streets will be the home of accountancy firm Pigot Miller Wilson.
Partner Dan Miller said work on the building was mostly internal, with the demolition of interior walls the starting point.
The accountants will take over 70 per cent of the building, while the remaining 30 per cent will be leased to other businesses for office space when work is finished in November.
“We’re really excited about it,” Mr Miller said.
“It’s going to be a lot better for the whole office atmosphere, there will be more room at the new site. It will be a new start.”
He said the firm chose to keep the building’s facade unchanged, with plans to return the outside to its original white after the roof was replaced.
“Three of the four partners grew up here so we we’re very conscious [of its history],” he said.
“It’s nice to have a building with history.”
The adjacent cottage at 66 Summer Street will be converted into offices, with the exterior remaining untouched, while another cottage at 65 Hill Street has been demolished.
The development will include 27 car spaces for customers and other tenants.
A modification to the development consent approved by council last week allowed the removal of three trees on the property, including two pencil pines.
“It’s nice that it was well received by councillors,” Mr Miller said.
“The councillors have been great getting things approved.”