THE NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) spent Monday night on backburning efforts in an attempt to control the 877-hectare bushfire at Mount Canobolas as more hot, dry weather approaches.
For the second day in a row, the fire was quieter in the morning, however Canobolas zone manager Superintendent David Hoadley said higher temperatures, lower humidity and stronger winds led to more smoke and even visible flames later in the afternoon.
However, Supt Hoadley told the public not to be alarmed because the fire had not breached containment lines.
“Some residents from Panuara noticed the flames and were concerned it had jumped out of its box but it hasn’t,” he said.
A large backburn was planned overnight to stop the fire spreading to the south ahead of Wednesday’s expected winds.
“We don’t want it to impact on the Cadia mine,” Supt Hoadley said.
The fire remains on advice status and is still out of control, however a single shed was the only property loss at the time of publication and the telecommunications infrastructure at the summit was safe.
Information kiosks for residents were held at Nashdale Hall and Emus Rugby Club during the day.
Family and Community Services has helped four people find accommodation so far and staff remain at the Environmental Learning Facility at Orange Showground if more arrive.
The Western Local Health District warned increased smoke could aggravate asthma and other lung diseases, advising sufferers stay indoors, close doors and windows and block drafts, ask relatives or friends to deliver necessary items and take medication with them if they did need to go out.