Queen’s Baton Relay to close Summer Street as it visits schools

READY TO RUN: David Howe with Orange mayor Reg Kidd. Photo: MAX STAINKAMPH
READY TO RUN: David Howe with Orange mayor Reg Kidd. Photo: MAX STAINKAMPH

Residents will face road closures during the excitement of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton Relay on January 30, when the 900 metre long relay convoy snakes through the city. 

The relay route was released by Orange City Council on Tuesday morning, and will require much of Byng Street and Summer Street to be closed for up to an hour.

Road closures will be staggered, with the earliest road closure on Frost Street from Wentworth Lane to Coronation Drive from 9.05am, and the last stretch of road to be re-opened – Seymour Street from Byng to March Streets – to open at noon. 

Some streets between Summer Street and Byng Street, including Hamer, Sampson and Clinton streets, will have traffic controls at both ends, but will be able to cross Summer Street heading southbound. 

The baton will visit Calare Public School, Orange High School, the Orange Civic Centre, and the Police Citizen’s Youth Club on its route through town.  

Orange mayor Red Kidd said the baton coming to Orange is “really exciting”.

“I think it’s fantastic for Orange and a recognition of all the Commonwealth Games athletes we’ve had from Orange in previous years,” Cr Kidd said. 

He said the road closure was unavoidable. 

“There will be a little bit of inconvenience because we’ll have to block of part of Summer Street and part of Byng Street,” he said.

However, Cr Kidd said the closures had been timed to cause as little inconvenience as possible.

“[The closures start] from about 9.50am so people have the chance to get their children to school and so forth … but people will still have access to the shops,” he said.

“I think we can put up with that inconvenience because we’re one of the cities or towns where the relay is going.

“I apologised to some shop owners if there was an inconvenience, but most of the ones I’ve spoken to have said it’s fantastic and they were looking forward to it.”

David Howe will be one of the baton runners in recognition of his work on in various sports in Orange. 

“I’m really looking forward to it, it’s a big thing for the town and for me it’s a big thing too with the work I’ve done,” Dr Howe said. 

The route and road closure times are on the Orange City Council website at www.orange.nsw.gov.au/baton.

Council are encouraging anyone with any queries to contact them on 6393 8000. 

Comments

Discuss "Queen’s Baton Relay to close Summer Street as it visits schools"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.