A Millthorpe man and his son are in an Adelaide hospital with severe burns after being sprayed with burning fuel at a car show.
Keith and Bas Ryan were in the crowd at the RedCentre Nats car show in Alice Springs on September 3 when a flash fire from a car ignited.
They were among 12 people burned in the fire and have been transferred to the burns unit at Royal Adelaide Hospital.
If we could get a thousand people to give $1 we'd have $1000 to help her.
Orange childcare worker Dannii Byrne said her co-worker Sam Davis, who is Keith Ryan’s partner and Bas’s mum, had rushed from Millthorpe to Adelaide to be with them.
However, she said Ms Davis was short of funds and at one point had to sleep in her car.
Miss Byrnes has begun a fundraising campaign on GoFundMe to raise $2000 to help out.
So far she has raised $535 and has organised a fundraising day at their workplace, the Great Beginnings day care centre on Thursday.
Staff and families are being asked to wear crazy colours and hairdos and make a gold coin donation to help out.
“Everybody loves Sam, she is just a beautiful person,” she said.
Miss Byrnes said Ms Davis had just returned to work after an injury and had used up all her work entitlements and was short of funds.
“She could get a place in a hostel for $50 a night, but she doesn’t have $50 a night to spend.”
They were transferred to Adelaide by the Royal Flying Doctor Service [RFDS].
A statement by the RFDS last week said the two men were seriously injured.
“The two patients had burns to 20 percent of their bodies (face and limbs), one of which intubated and in a critical condition.”
A spokeswoman for the Royal Adelaide Hospital said on Thursday they were both in a stable condition.
Miss Byrnes said people could donate funds by going to the GoFundMe account, www.gofundme.com/72hgn-help-sam-and-her-family she has set up.
“If we could get a thousand people to give $1 we'd have $1000 to help her.”
A spokesman for the Northern Territory Major Events Company said they were providing accommodation and support for Ms Davis and other families of victims in Adelaide.
Images and video of the incident were posted online by horrified spectators who filmed the incident.
The event organisers stopped the competition to allow victims to be treated and transferred to hospital.