Angry athletes are fuming that hats, drinks, water bottles and medals promised to them on entering the Outback Obstacles event four weeks ago have still not arrived.
Some have also complained about a lack of medics and officials on course.
About 350 people contested the 5km adventure challenge at Towac Park racecourse on January 21.
The $79 entry fee included a T-shirt, hat, finishing medal and water bottle.
However runners at this and similar events in Ipswich in November and Bendigo last Sunday have complained on Facebook that they have not received the merchandise.
Some have contacted NSW Fair Trading asking them to investigate.
Event director Dan Gold told the Central Western Daily on Wednesday that the items were ordered from China and their delivery had been held up by shutdowns for Chinese New Year.
He said the items had now arrived in his Brisbane office and he guaranteed that Orange runners would receive their merchandise within a week.
Personal trainer Rachel Crawford said she organised a team of 15 runners, including daughter Zara, to compete in the Orange event.
“The feedback I got from my clients was not good,” she said.
“You should provide everything you say you will.”
Mrs Crawford said there was a lack of marshals.
“They don’t remember seeing a first aid officer on the course.
“On the water obstacle there was just a young child watching.
“There’s a high risk with any of the obstacle races. If you fell, there is a risk of breaking your wrist or ankles from falls.”
VIDEO: Matt Findlay takes on the course:
Jason Lyne said he entered as part of a group of six and was disappointed about the missing merchandise and the way the event was conducted.
“I think on reflection it’s been a poor finish to something that could build up in Orange,” he said.
“A lot of people will be sceptical about doing it again if this gentleman or someone else runs it.
“It’s very unprofessional and a bit hard to fathom.”
Mr Gold apologised to runners saying it was beyond his control.
“I don’t con people,” he said.
“I’ve been in the business for 22 years.
“I’ve run hundreds of events and I have had no problems before.
“I’d like to bring the event back to Orange because I know it will be bigger and better.”
Mr Gold offered a 50 per cent discount to this year’s runners who enter the next event – most likely in February 2018.
They got to the docks in China and then the Chinese New Year kicked in and the whole world shut down. My hands were tied.
He said he had ordered 5000 of each item to be made in China last year.
“They got to the docks in China and then the Chinese New Year kicked in and the whole world shut down. My hands were tied.”
Mr Gold also denied claims about a lack of supervision.
“There were 8-10 people watching the course all the time. I put my own staff at the water obstacle.”
He said he had been contacted by a Fair Trading official and had explained the situation, including providing documents.