CONTRACTORS have been assured they will be able to tender for future work after Cadia Valley Operations (CVO) decided to trial a streamlined shutdown format.
A surface fixed plant maintenance contractor contacted the Central Western Daily on Friday concerned they would only be able to put on half their workforce this week to make way for three larger contractors, including a group from Cairns.
During a fixed plant maintenance shutdown, specialists are brought in for a two to three-day period to service fixed equipment in the ore processing facility, which includes replacing worn-out parts to avoid breakdowns.
CVO general manager Peter Sharpe said the trial took effect as of Tuesday, with two shutdowns planned by January 26, and hoped to build on the success of underground maintenance shutdowns.
“The trial involves using three primary suppliers of skilled trade labour to plan, supervise and execute the maintenance work,” he said.
“Previously, maintenance shutdowns in the ore processing facility were managed internally by Newcrest staff and Cadia expects to see improvements in safety and efficiency.”
Mr Sharpe said the suppliers were selected based on their expertise managing large shutdowns for mining sites around Australia and the results would be reviewed in February.
“If it is successful, Cadia will provide an opportunity for local businesses to tender for the master supplier roles for future maintenance shutdowns,” he said.
“It is critical for Cadia to maintain its position as a low-cost, high-volume gold producer to remain competitive in a global market – we are continuously looking to improve our efficiency to ensure we can sustain a long-term future for our workforce.”