CHARDONNAY has been the crowning glory of the 2016 Orange Wine Show, with judges calling the variety world class.
The judges awarded 21 gold medals, 48 silver and 129 bronze medals from a record 335 entries.
Chief steward Will Rickard-Bell said there had been an overall jump in quality on the back of two years of strong vintages.
“The judges in all their comments said Orange chardonnay was the next cult wine – they said they were world class,” he said.
Colmar Estate was the most decorated vineyard, with three category wins in the other white, riesling and chardonnay sections.
Its 2015 chardonnay then went on to win the best white wine of show and best wine of show prizes.
Mr Rickard-Bell said rieslings also performed well, justifying the decision to give the category its own trophy this year, while sauvignon blancs were not as strong.
With Hunter Valley-based Gartelmann Wines taking out two awards for its shiraz using Orange grapes, Mr Rickard-Bell it was good promotion for the region.
“There’s almost as much fruit going to other regions like the Southern Highlands and the Hunter Valley as what’s held here,” he said.
2016 Orange Wine Show trophies:
- Best wine of show: Colmar Estate 2015 Chardonnay
- Best white wine of show: Colmar Estate 2015 Chardonnay
- Best red wine of show: Gartelmann Wines 2015 Diedrich Shiraz
- Chairman’s special trophy: Philip Shaw Wines 2016 Pink Billy
- Best other white: Colmar Estate 2016 Gewurztraminer
- Best riesling: Colmar Estate 2016 Riesling
- Best sauvignon blanc: Brangayne Wines 2015 Sauvignon Blanc
- Best pinot gris: Cooks Lot 2016 Allotment 666 Pinot Gris
- Best chardonnay: Colmar Estate 2015 Chardonnay
- Best vintage chardonnay: Philip Shaw Wines 2012 No 11
- Best pinot noir: Windowrie Estate 2015 Family Reserve
- Best shiraz: Gartelmann Wines 2015 Diedrich Shiraz
- Best cabernet sauvignon: Ross Hill Wines 2014 Pinnacle Series Cabernet Sauvignon
- Best Bordeaux style: Cooks Lot 2015 Allotment 8989 Cabernet Merlot
- Best mature red: Davis Premium Vineyards 2009 Carillion 'The Volcanics' Cabernet Sauvignon