ORANGE roads are set to receive a $476,000 cash injection after the Roads to Recovery program passed through Federal Parliament on Thursday.
The $2.1 billion program will be delivered to councils across the country in September.
Infrastructure Policy Committee chair and councillor Reg Kidd welcomed the funding, saying the scheme was an important way for the federal government to help councils improve roads.
“We wouldn’t know what to do without it,” he said.
“It’s critical for road infrastructure in rural and regional areas.”
He said the expected $476,000 funding from the scheme had been included in this year’s budget.
“It’s a significant part of the $6.6 million Orange City Council plans to spend on new roads and replacing old roads in the current financial year,” he said.
The largest of the projects will be the southern feeder road’s first stage, connecting Forest Road to the southern end of Anson Street, however the specific projects funded as part of Roads to Recovery is still yet to be finalised.
Cr Kidd said the program started several years ago after a roads conference in Moree and he and then-technical services director Michael Ryan put in one of the first submissions.
Member for Calare John Cobb said the land transport infrastructure amendment bill passed after agreement was reached with Senate crossbenchers - the bill had faced opposition from Labor and the Greens.
“The $2.1 billion will make a real difference to the ability of Calare’s councils to deliver the better, safer local roads and streets our community needs,” he said.