Family safe and well: smoke clears in Kurim Avenue house fire

DANGER WARNING: Sixteen people evacuated from a burning home when a smoke alarm went off.

DANGER WARNING: Sixteen people evacuated from a burning home when a smoke alarm went off.

A FUNCTIONING smoke alarm has saved 16 people after a fire broke out in a house in Kurim Avenue on Sunday morning.

Orange Fire and Rescue workers found smoke issuing from the property when they were called at 5.38am.

Sixteen people, including several children younger than 10, had already self-evacuated after they were alerted by the smoke alarm.

Station officer Brad Monico said the kitchen was well alight and progressing into the roof.

“Fire attack crews knocked down the fire and prevented it spreading further into the roof,” he said.

“It was an excellent example of having a working smoke detector - without a functioning smoke detector, it might not have been such a positive outcome.”

Several of the occupants were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but did not need to be transported to hospital.

Mr Monico said the fire appeared to have started from the stove area and the kitchen was destroyed in the blaze.

danielle.cetinski@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop