Call for tenders keeps Orange Museum momentum rolling forward

OPEN SPACE: An artist’s impression of the glassed entrance to the museum shows it opening out to a piazza area. 0417museumentrance

OPEN SPACE: An artist’s impression of the glassed entrance to the museum shows it opening out to a piazza area. 0417museumentrance

TENDERS have been called for the Orange Museum, however the development application is still to be approved.

The application was lodged with the Western Joint Regional Planning Panel on January 10 and Orange City Council submitted its assessment report in March, but the project has been listed for an electronic determination meeting for several months.

Despite no approval so far, the council has called for tenders to build the $8 million facility.

The Orange Visitor Information Centre has also scaled back operations to prepare to move to the art gallery temporarily in September so the existing building can be demolished.

Orange mayor John Davis said the council was working with the NSW Crown Lands to finalise the paperwork for the site and the project was still proceeding within its expected construction timelines.

“The City Council has received informal advice from the state government authorities involved that the project is expected to be approved once the formal planning requirements have been met,” he said.

“For a complex and a large scale proposal like this, keeping the momentum of the project building is important. 

“The process of seeking tenders is happening alongside the planning approval process, and it’s anticipated that the approval will come well before tenders have closed.”

The museum is set to create 31 new jobs in the construction phase and 38 new jobs once complete.

Six construction contractors have been invited to tender for the project, with tenders closing on September 15.

Councillors will consider the bids on October 7.

danielle.cetinski@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop