RESIDENTS in Majestic Way were left disappointed after a 12-lot subdivision was approved by Orange City Council on Tuesday night.
While the proposed site fronts Kearneys Drive and Hill Street, eight small lots and one of the three Torrens title lots will be accessed from one of Majestic Way’s two cul-de-sacs via a four-metre driveway.
The street’s residents objected due to safety concerns for children who play in the area.
The matter was deferred last month so councillors could inspect the access, however councillors concluded they could not force the landholder to negotiate an alternative.
Mayor John Davis said the driveway had been set aside for future development.
“We’re locked in and it probably ticks the boxes,” he said.
Majestic Way resident Monica Street said she was disappointed residents were not notified about the site inspection.
“It’s sad that a nice cul-de-sac will be spoiled,” she said.
“They took into account the flora and fauna, but very little about the affected people in the area.”
The subdivision will include three Torrens title lots, including the existing dwelling house, a public reserve to cater for the existing electricity transmission line, seven townhouse lots ranging from 268-351 square metres and a community lot for driveways and visitor parking.