CHILDREN at Canobolas Public School found an “unknown building material” in the playground, but P&C president Melissa Caulfield said there was nothing to be alarmed about.
However, the Department of Education and Communities has not ruled out whether the material is asbestos.
Mrs Caulfield said the school handled the situation appropriately, put the safety of children first and communicated with parents as soon as the situation presented itself.
Parts of Canobolas Public School were cordoned off after students found a piece of bonded building material.
Specialists had worked at the school to remove the material, which was not identified by Friday afternoon.
“As a parent, I am not worried at all,” Mrs Caulfield said.
“As soon as they found the item, the area was cordoned off. Protocol is being followed and the welfare of the children is first and foremost.”
Mrs Caulfield said the school sent a note home with children informing parents of the discovery and what process was involved in reducing the risk, if there was any.
No complaint from a parent had been lodged with the school, a Department of Education spokesperson said in a statement.
“A small amount of bonded building material was found on school grounds on 2 June, 2014. It was located on the school oval,” the statement said.
“As a safety precaution, the area concerned was cordoned off.”
Testing of the material was arranged and has not been finalised.
“ Until the school has the results, the area will remain cordoned off and out of bounds to all staff and students,” the statement said.
Mrs Caulfield said renovations to the toilet block had been carried out and extra fencing had been erected to protect students.