DESPITE a drop in funds raised during the Red Shield Appeal on Sunday, Major Greg Saunders said the annual doorknock was unlikely to change next year.
Major Saunders said last year’s result of $58,957 was higher than usual and Sunday’s estimated result of $38,000 was not a failure.
“It was probably just one of those anomalies and last year was the best ever,” he said.
“The doorknock has proved to be a good way to do it, it just didn’t work on the day.”
He was reluctant to consider a two-day collection to reach those who go out on Sunday mornings and said activity next year was more likely to focus on recruiting more collectors after Sunday’s collection fell 90 volunteers short.
“The drivers were ready, but they had no one to take,” he said.
The royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse was also identified as a possible contributing factor. Regionally, other areas made up some of the shortfall - Forbes raised more than $7000, up from $4200 last year.
The appeal in Bathurst and Oberon raised $6300 - it was an improvement on last year’s total of $5500, but still fell far short of the $25,000 target it set to fund a new trailer to assist the organisation’s emergency services team and other community projects.
However, Orange’s doorknock results were mirrored nationally.
The Salvation Army identified a $10 million goal for Australia-wide doorknock, but has so far raised just $4.97 million, with money still coming in.
The overall Red Shield Appeal target stands at $80 million, ending on June 30.
Major Saunders encouraged any residents who did not have a collector arrive at their door to donate to Orange’s Salvation Army office, Westpac or online at salvationarmy.org.au.