THE Orange Showground is set to receive a substantial cash injection this coming financial year, however there is still a long way to go before the facility reaches completion.
Orange City Council’s 2014-15 draft budget has set aside $700,000 for a new 3200sq pavilion at the north-western corner of the site.
The project’s total budget is $750,000, including the relocation of underground water a sewer pipes, set to be completed this financial year.
Orange Show Society president Peter Naylor said steady progress had been made, most recently with fresh paint on the showground’s existing pavilions and a repaired toilet block, and council had continued its support.
“It’s been great, we’re chipping at it,” he said.
“We hope the bigger pavilion will be up next year and people will be able to see more things.”
However, there is still more work to do before the show society can run its perfect show - currently, much of Orange’s stormwater runs into an open drain in the middle of the showground.
The show ring’s size has become more rectangular in shape due to the drain and Mr Naylor said it made the horse events difficult to run.
“You need a round ring so they don’t feel confined,” he said.
“We all know it’s going to take time.”
Council spokesman Allan Reeder said it had been suggested to put the drains underground, which would allow for an oval-shaped ring as included in the long-term master plan.
“That particular item has not been given the priority yet over items such as the pavilion, and is not in the four-year budget planning,” he said.
The draft delivery and operational plan 2014-18, including the draft budget, will require councillor approval later this month before the pavilion funds become available.
Submissions close on May 6.