Home in ruins: suspicious fire rips through house in Dubbo

AN INVESTIGATION is under way into a suspicious blaze that ripped through a house in Dubbo's Apollo Estate on Monday night.

Emergency services were called to the Collins Avenue fire just after 6pm.

NSW Fire and Rescue Dubbo Station Officer Nick Beattie said the single-storey weatherboard and tile house was well alight when the first of five firefighting units from Dubbo and Delroy stations attended.

"Flames were coming from the kitchen window and not long after the fire was in the roof," he said.

There were initially concerns people could have been inside the house.

"There was a fair bit of rubbish in the driveway, which suggested somebody could have been living there, there is always the potential that squatters are inside, but a primary search of the house confirmed it was unoccupied," Station Officer Beattie said.

He said there were also concerns live electricity posed a threat to members of a crowd that had gathered, at least one of whom attempted to extinguish the fire, but it had been isolated.

"We found a local resident with a garden hose but he had to be removed because of the possible danger," Station Officer Beattie said.

Paramedics assessed the man for smoke inhalation and remained on standby in case of any injuries, he said.

A crime scene was established at the house which was examined by specialist forensic officers.

While the cause of the fire was a matter for investigation, Station Officer Beattie said at this stage he could confirm it had "multiple points of ignition".

Anyone with information should contact Dubbo police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop