A NORTH Orange family who were allegedly robbed of about $10,000 worth of electrical equipment may sleep easier knowing the suspect is behind bars.
The Sargent family came home from a party on March 29 to discover computers, an iPad, iPods, nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, computer games, a camera and a video camera had been stolen from their Diamond Drive home.
Police allege they found the stolen goods in the possession of a 16-year-old boy and that he had given some of the stolen equipment to a friend.
The boy appeared before the magistrate Terry Lucas on Thursday and was denied bail after police prosecutor Sergeant Andy Bobin argued the prosecution had a strong case against the boy and that he was already on nine good behaviour bonds.
“This child was the brains behind [the theft],” he said.
“Break and enters are becoming quite rampant and this [child] is responsible for this one.”
Mr Lucas said the risk to the community was too great to allow the boy bail.
Police facts state officers were informed the friend had most of the stolen goods at his house near Manildra.
When officers arrived, they searched the property and found the stolen items.
The friend named the 16-year-old boy as the culprit.
Police allege the 16-year-old said he would return to the scene of the crime after he was released from police custody.
The boy has a series of previous criminal offences including break and enter, stealing, trespassing and having a knife in public.