Pushed to the limit: Highway attack disgusts disabled victim

DISABILITY pensioner Johann Jonkmans says he is disgusted that four youths who tried to push him and his mobility scooter on to a busy section of Bathurst Road late last year have gone unpunished.

Mr Jonkmans said he was waiting to cross the highway to attend a medical appointment at the Wellness House about 10.30am on December 24 when the youths tried to push him onto the road, only stopping when they noticed witnesses on the opposite side of the road.

Police conducting a nearby breath test were quick to come to Mr Jonkmans’ defence and a backpack he was wearing at the time was taken for fingerprint analysis.

Yesterday police confirmed no arrests had been made in relation to the incident.

“I felt devastated about what happened, “ Mr Jonkmans said.

“I think they [the youths] thought it was funny but I can’t believe that anyone would do that to another person.”

“It’s an abhorrent situation that could have resulted in the man’s death"

Mr Jonkmans wants the youths made accountable for their actions.

“I know if the girls weren’t standing there on the other side of the road they [the youths] would have pushed me on to that busy road,” he said.

“I think jail would be too mild a punishment.”

At the time of the incident Canobolas Local Area Command acting Inspector Scott Russell said police had interviewed several youths aged between 12 and 16, and were looking at laying charges, possibly under the Young Offenders’ Act.

Acting Inspector Russell said while the man was not injured he was badly shaken by the incident.

“It’s an abhorrent situation that could have resulted in the man’s death,” he said.

“It could have been catastrophic.”

tracey.prisk@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop