Accused in custody after innocent boy suffers horrific burns in bath

AN innocent little boy at Dubbo has suffered horrific burns because of a danger that lurked in the place he called home.

The two-year-old was immersed into a bath filled with water so hot it caused burns to 17 per cent of his body and a piece of skin to peel from his foot.

Police allege it was abuse, not an accident, and yesterday the search for justice for the victim began.

A 23-year-old man faced a Dubbo court charged with intentionally causing grievous bodily harm.

The accused was in a domestic relationship with the little boy's mother, according to documents tendered by police to the court, and he can not be named to protect the identity of the young victim.

Detectives from the Child Abuse Squad's Dubbo office will allege that on February 6 the 23-year-old, already on a good behaviour bond, was responsible for looking after two children at the home.

While under the man's care the little boy - who will turn three next month - suffered extensive burns to his body in a bath of allegedly all hot water.

A short time after emergency services were contacted and the child was taken to Dubbo Hospital before being transported by air to Westmead Children's Hospital for specialist burns treatment.


He required skin grafting for injuries to the tops of his feet and shins, according to documents tendered by police to the court.

His acute care involved fluid resuscitation, blood transfusions and frequent general anaesthetics for dressing changes.

The boy's pain is not at an end - he "will have permanent scarring and requires ongoing management", according to the court documents.

He has since been discharged from hospital and is in the care of the Department of Family and Community Services, NSW Police media reported.

The 23-year-old was arrested at Dubbo police station on Wednesday and spent the night in custody.

He was denied bail at the Dubbo Bail Court yesterday morning because of flight risk, the serious and violent nature of the offences, the likely custodial penalty should he be convicted and for the protection of the community, namely the victim and witnesses.

The prosecution submitted that the accused was on a current and recent bond and another bond and had previous breaches of bail.

The 23-year-old is scheduled to reappear in court via audio-visual link on Monday.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide