The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has identified the cause of death of hundreds of birds at Dubbo but not the source of the toxic substance.
The EPA on Tuesday afternoon reported the results of tests indicated that an insecticide, Fenthion, was the likely cause of death.
Bodies of cockatoos, corellas and galahs were first discovered last week and the combined toll at Troy Reserve, a stretch of Boothenba Road and other locations in or near the city climbed to an estimated 500 on Monday.
EPA north branch director Gary Davey said the insecticide was detected in samples from dead birds.
“This insecticide is commonly used to eradicate insects, spiders and non-native pest birds, such as starlings,” he said.
“At this point, we do not have evidence as to how the birds came into contact with the insecticide but we are continuing to investigate.
“Any information about the possible source will assist our investigation and I’d ask that anyone with information about the bird deaths or information about pesticide misuse, to contact the EPA’s EnviroLine on 131 555.”
People are advised not to handle the sick or dead birds. For advice on disposing of any dead birds please contact Dubbo City Council on 6801 4000 or the EPA on 131 555.
For assistance with any sick birds, people local to Dubbo should call WIRES on 1300 556 686. Calls can also be made to the NSW WIRES Rescue Line on 13 000 WIRES or 1300 094 737.