THE pavilions at the Orange Showground are in for a $47,000 makeover, with work starting this week on the long-awaited repainting of the tired buildings.
Show society president Peter Naylor said painters began with the agriculture pavilion on Monday, but soon all the pavilions will be painted.
The painting is the first step in a series of changes planned for the showground in the lead up to the 142nd annual show on May 10 and 11.
Orange City Council committed $500,000 towards an 80 by 40 metre pavilion last year.
“I think it will be good for all the painting to be done in time for the show,” Mr Naylor said.
“But the shed [pavilion] will take a while and has to go through council.
“People can see the showground is working.”
Council spokesman Nick Redmond said the painting had been identified as a priority by the showground committee and was being funded by council.
Mr Naylor said the building was still at the planning stage, but showground users and the council had decided on a location near the former stables site.
“We’ve viewed the plans of the big pavilion and we’re meeting again a few weeks,” he said.
“Things are starting to happen... it will be 80 by 40 [metres] and also have a toilet block.”
Mr Redmond said the design needed to be finalised and the council needed to approve the development application before tenders for its construction would be called.
Mr Naylor said plans for a concrete hardstand area, to be paid for by a $49,950 grant pledged by the state government last year, were also still being prepared and he did not expect the area to be ready for this year’s show.
“It’s a thing we don’t want to rush into,” he said.
“We have to plan everything so it all works for every user of the showground.”
The hardstand area is likely to be used for markets, car shows and other community events requiring a concrete area.