Out of chances: second break and enter lands boy in detention

THE revolving door of Orange Court House has stopped for a young Orange boy who has used up all his chances.

The boy has been sent to Orana Juvenile Justice Centre for carrying out two break and enters in just over a week and breaching bail.

The 13-year-old appeared in court yesterday charged with a break and enter in Glenroi on Wednesday night, just 72 hours after fronting magistrate Terry Lucas on Monday for a breach of bail for a similar offence a week before.

On Monday, Mr Lucas gave the boy a stern warning to stay out of trouble and comply with his bail conditions.

The boy is now under the supervision of the Department of Family and Community Services, since he and two co-offenders broke into a Wakeford Street unit on December 31.

The boy’s mother absolved responsibility of the juvenile, saying she was not able to control him, as he was not prepared to follow her rules or rules imposed by the court.

After the Wakeford Street break and enter the boy was granted bail and set up in emergency accommodation at a local motel in the care of a community services caseworker.

However, he breached his bail conditions and was re-arrested and taken to the Orana Juvenile Justice Centre.

When the boy’s aunt indicated to authorities she was prepared to care for him while he was being supervised by the Department of Family and Community Services, he was granted bail and driven back to Orange, arriving on Sunday at 7.40pm.

Half an hour later police driving by for a bail check saw him playing in the front yard of his aunt’s house, but later that night the boy’s aunt called police to say he had driven off in a vehicle with two other males and she could not stop him.

Police arrested him late on Sunday night when he returned to the house.

The boy was refused bail overnight and appeared in court on Monday when Mr Lucas gave him one more chance. 

He was released to live with his aunt under strict supervision, however, on Wednesday night the accused and a co-offender broke in to a house in South Terrace between 6.45pm and 7pm.

After the 13-year-old was led in to the dock by Corrective Services officers yesterday, his solicitor Bob Lulham said representations were being made to Father Chris Riley, who runs the Youth Off The Streets program, to see if he would take the boy on and provide him with a home.

“If that isn’t possible then DoCS will have to find him a place to live,” Mr Lulham said.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Andy Bobin said he did not want the boy granted bail because he had breached it twice and had carried out a second break and enter within days of appearing before the Magistrate.

“He will just get out and about and commit further offences,” he said.

The boy will come back before the court in six weeks to answer the latest charges of aggravated break and enter and malicious damage.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide