Mystery multi-millionaire comes forward

THE hunt for the missing multi-millionaire who scooped the entire division one prize of $50 million in last Thursday's Powerball draw is over after the anonymous winner from NSW came forward to claim their prize yesterday .

NSW Lotteries has confirmed the winner's details will remain a closely guarded secret, despite it being the single largest win in the state in NSW Lotteries history.

In a statement issued by NSW Lotteries yesterday, the reluctant millionaire said they were only aware the $50 million winning ticket had not yet been claimed.

It was purchased at South Dubbo Newsagency in Tamworth Street early last week.

"I had only recently heard that there was a missing Powerball winner so decided to check my ticket. But I didn't think it could be me," the winner said.

South Dubbo Newsagency's Andrew Bartlett was still coming to terms with selling the ticket, and believes he is now wearing the biggest grin in the city.

"It's just incredible to think that we sold that winning ticket," Mr Bartlett said.

NSW Lotteries spokesperson Belinda McDougall said because the winning Powerball ticket was not registered to a Players Club card, NSW Lotteries had not been able to contact the winner.

It was an exciting and anxious wait.

"Instead of being able to phone the winner to tell them they'd be starting the new year $50 million richer, NSW Lotteries had to wait for the winner to check their ticket and contact us."

The winning numbers in last Thursday's Powerball draw 919 were 16, 39, 7, 35, 3 and 25. The Powerball was number 13.

NSW Lotteries always recommends customers register their entries to a NSW Lotteries Players Club card as it ensures their prize is secure and officials can contact them directly with news of a division one win.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop