A TRANSPORT company with foundations in a business set up in Orange 35 years ago has taken out the top award at the 2013 CGU Banjo Business Award.
Ron Finemore Transport, which employs 120 people at its north Orange depot, has enjoyed huge growth since established a presence in 2005.
General manager Darren Wood said it was very satisfying to take out the major award and was excited to to hear Ron Finemore Transport called as the winner.
“It was the first time we have entered the award and we came away with two gongs,” he said.
The business, formerly known as Smith’s Transport and bought out by Finemore’s, also received the award for excellence in automotive transport and logistics.
Mr Wood said securing major contracts had resulted in huge growth at the depot, with the number of vehicles rising from 16 when the depot wa sbuilt to 57.
“We set out to secure a major contract and that has become the backbone of the business,” Mr Wood said.
Orange is one of company’s three major depots, with Finemore depots also in Wagga Wagga and Wodonga, with 160 vehicles in the fleet and 400 employees across the network.
Mr Wood said the transport of petroleum, as well as food products, was a major part of the business.
“We do service the manufacturing industry in the region as well, although some of that has taken a hit lately,” he said.
“But I am optimistic for the future in that regard.”
* CGU Banjo Business of the Year Ron Finemore Transport Orange Pty Ltd.
* People’s Choice Outstanding Orange Business Victoria Hotel
* People’s Choice Outstanding Orange Tradie West Orange Motors
* People’s Choice Outstanding Orange Tradie Wayne Hill Electrical
* People’s Choice Outstanding Customer Service Peter Smith Chemmart
Other category winners recognised for excellence were:
* Automotive Transport and Logistics Ron Finemore Transport Orange Pty Ltd
* Business Operations and Franchise Award Job Centre Australia
* Community Services Huntley Berry Farm
* Construction and Trade L-Con Building and Construction
* Hospitality and Tourism Taste Orange
* Excellence in manufacturing, mining and Industrial service Electrolux Home Products Pty Ltd
* Personal and Lifestyle Services Extraordinary Beings Success Creation
* Professional Health and Wellbeing Professional Business and Financial Services McCarthy’s Pharmacy
* Business and Financial Services Sandra Kelly Conveyancing
* Retail and Shopping (less than 10 employees) Printflow Pty Ltd
* Retail and Shopping (more than 10 employees) Officeworks Orange
* Business Leaders Award Alison Bennett (Spine Alive)
* Employer of Choice Jeff Hort Engineering
* Excellence in business ethics Bobbies
* Excellence in innovation Novus-Res Pty Ltd
* Excellence in small business Canobolas Locksmiths
* Excellence in sustainability Electrolux Home Products Pty. Ltd.
* Outstanding new and emerging business Extraordinary Being Success Creation
* Young Business Executive (18-30) Ben Jenkins - Yates Baker McLean
* Young Entrepreneur (18-31) Brett Carslake - B & C Carslake Plumbing Services