IT has only been operating for just over three years, but on Friday Manildra Packing was crowned best business in Cabonne.
The annual Daroo Awards recognise the best businesses operating in Cabonne’s towns and villages.
Established 14 years ago, the Daroo Awards celebrate the success of businesses in rural communities, with categories that reflect the products and services offered in towns and villages.
Manildra Packing business manager Peter Jones felt humbled by the award.
“It’s 16 hours a day, and volumes of tens of thousands of units a week,” he said.
“It’s normally heads down bums up. It’s [the award] for the guys and girls that work there, it’s certainly a feather in our cap.”
The manufacturing and filling facility operates at MSM Milling and employs nine full-time staff as well as casuals.
Business Enterprise Centre executive officer and Daroo Awards chair Bruce Buchanan said it had been exciting to see the growth in businesses over the past 13years of the awards.
“What a privilege it has been to see the way businesses have managed through such tough economic hardship over the years,” he said.
“Cabonne has, along with the majority of NSW, suffered everything from droughts and fires to floods. [Yet] still the wonderful people of Cabonne shire just it take in their stride and continue to drive their business forward.”
A highlight of the Daroo awards night was paralympian and keynote speaker Nigel Smith, who enthralled the audience with his story of hardship, perseverance and dedication.
When Nigel lost his left leg in an industrial accident, he didn’t just return to work, he went on to represent Australia in volleyball.
Cabonne Council community and business development officer Hannah Dunlop said this was the first time Manildra Packing had taken out the major award.
“Our villages and towns have many excellent businesses, which, despite competition, floods, an aging population and other factors, continue to provide a first-class range of services to their respective communities,” she said.
Daroo is the Aboriginal name for platypus, which is found in the rivers, creeks and streams of the Cabonne shire.
The best of the best at the Daroo Awards
* Best business in Cabonne Manildra Packing
* Excellence in service operations, small entity Cargo Store
* Excellence in service operations,large entity taste Canowindra
* Excellence in accommodation Black Sheep Inn
* Excellence in hospitality Cargo Store
* Excellence in tourism business Canowindra Trading Post
* Excellence in marketing, advertising and Communications Canowindra Trading Post
* Contribution to Cabonne, community organisation Yeoval Mulga Bill Quick Shear
* Contribution to Cabonne, business Cargo Store
* Excellence in sustainable agriculture Little River Landcare
* Excellence in environmental services BioAg Central West
* Best new business S&S Central West Carpentry
* Best ongoing business Canowindra Trading Post
* Best home-based business Hayley’s Mobile Hairdressing
* Apprentice/trainee of the year Taylah Woodhouse
* Employee of the year Fiona Ferguson