NEIGHBOURS saved a house in South Terrace from being destroyed by fire yesterday.
The occupants had left the house and accidentally left food cooking in a frying pan on the stove.
At about 6pm the fire alarm of the house staring going off and alerted the neighbours to the fire.
They called triple zero immediately.
Orange NSW Fire and Rescue station officer Matt Jeffery said if it had not been for the quick actions of the neighbours the house could have gone up in flames within a few minutes.
Because of the neighbours call and the working fire alarm, firefighters contained the fire to the frying pan and the stove.
There was smoke throughout the house but it was easily aired out.
"It clearly demonstrates how important having a working smoke alarm is," he said.
"People need to remember to check the alarm monthly."
Mr Jeffery praised the efforts of the neighbours and said it was good to see people looking out for each other.