TWO Facebook pages in support of the north Orange McDonald’s have been removed by the administrators just days after they were created, but a page opposing the fast food outlet remains.
Pearl Court resident Richard Eggleston set up the McDonald’s Australia - north Orange says no Facebook page in December.
So far he has 179 likes but said interest has grown in recent days as debate about the merit of the Farrell Road McDonald’s has heated up.
“I’m open to the idea of a McDonald’s in that area, but at that site absolutely not,” he said.
Three councillors are attempting to have the council revisit the fast food outlet’s rejection, with councillor Russell Turner flagging his intention on Friday to lodge a rescission motion this week.
Mr Eggleston does not expect the Facebook page to sway council’s opinion but slammed the decision to revisit the rejection.
“We had a democratic decision made by a council that we elected,” he said.
The administrator of the now defunct pro north Orange Macca’s Facebook page Luke Barber said he and the administrator of the support north Orange McDonald’s page Jade Brindley had deleted their pages following a request from McDonald’s head office.
“They said they didn’t want any backlash,” he said.
“But before I deleted it there was well over 2000 likes between the two of us.”
He said the support was enough for the council to approve the restaurant instead of wasting money defending the rejection in the Land and Environment Court.
“I think there’s more residents for it than against it. We need more commercial development out there.”
Mr Eggleston said unlike the the pro-McDonald’s pages he was allowing comments from the other side of the debate.