A SEVEN-MAN camping trip erupted in violence in the early hours of Saturday morning leaving a 19-year-old man in a stable condition in Orange hospital recovering from stab wounds to his arms, abdomen and back.
Several of the campers were believed to have been involved in an altercation that broke out at around 1am at a camp site at Long Point Reserve.
While a number of the men received minor injures, the 19-year-old man underwent surgery for non-life threatening injuries.
Canobolas Local Area Command duty officer Dave Harvey said a knife had been recovered at the campsite.
"It's undergoing forensic testing to establish if it were the weapon used in the incident," he said.
Inspector Harvey said police attended the campsite a short time after the incident but the alleged offender had already fled.
A crime scene was established and examined by forensic specialists and investigators have seized the vehicle that was used to convey the man to hospital.
Inspector Harvey said the majority of the men involved, including the injured man, had been interviewed by police.
"We expect to interview him (the victim) further when he's released," he said.
"Police are pleased he's in a stable condition."
Inspector Harvey said the camping trip had been pre-arranged and all of the men were friends or friends of friends.