BRINDABELLA Airlines have declined to confirm if their suspended air service out of Orange will resume tomorrow as planned.
In mid-July the airline announced it would temporarily suspend all scheduled services between Sydney and Orange for six weeks to allow for the introduction of new, larger aircraft in its fleet.
Hazelton Airlines founder Max Hazelton, now retired, said he would be surprised if the airline ever resumed their Orange service.
“They only thing that can make it viable is getting the price competitive and running a reliable service,” he said.
“They weren’t running a reliable service, they cancelled a lot of flights.
“Service and reliability is very important.”
Brindabella took its first flight out of Orange on February 18 this year, but reports of cancelled flights and low passenger numbers soon surfaced.
Repeat Brindabella passenger doctor Stephen James said he was underwhelmed by the airline's service.
“I have tried to support the airline, and the few times I did use it they cancelled two of the flights,” he told the Central Western Daily last month.
“I was told by the call centre it was due to operational reasons and the other flight was over two hours late when weather was not a factor.”
Mr Hazelton said the two airlines combined would need 100,000 passengers a year to be viable.
Even if Brindabella did return to Orange with larger aircraft, Mr Hazelton said it would not guarantee them success.
“It’ll send their costs up higher, it’ll make it harder for them,” he said.
“They'll have to try a lot harder than what they were doing in the past.”
Despite being contacted by the CWD, Brindabella Airlines did not return calls to comment on this story.