VIDEO: Farm shooting breakthrough

ORANGE police have had a breakthrough in the case involving two men who shot at a Springside farmer last month.

After canvassing businesses in town, looking at hours of CCTV footage and using a description given to them by the farmer, police believe this could be one of the men involved.

On May 21 at about 9.30am, the farmer gave chase to two men who were shooting illegally on his property. 

One of the men pointed a gun at him and told him to drop his phone. He then smashed the phone and shot at the farmer’s feet from less than four metres away. 

The man is considered dangerous and police urge people not to approach him.

READ MORE: Hunters shoot at property owner 

READ MORE: Man held at gun point

Canobolas Local Area Command crime manager Denise Godden said the men involved could be from the area. 

The brazen nature of the crime and the complete disregard for the consequences of their actions has police concerned.

“It was a haphazard shot that if it ricocheted it could potentially have hit [the farmer],” Inspector Godden said. 

“It was not a well-aimed shot.

“This was a serious incident that could have had fatal consequences.”

Police released the image of the man in the hope someone will identify him.

Inspector Godden said the public had been very helpful in providing information about an armed robbery that occurred earlier this year after CCTV footage of the alleged offenders was released. 

The man is described as being of Caucasian appearance, between 18 and 21 years old.  He has a thin  build, a  fair complexion and short, light-coloured hair. He also has a small ponytail or rat’s tail.

Anyone with information is urged to call Orange police on 6363 6399 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

nicole.kuter@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop