VOLLEYBALL NSW chief executive Michelle Slack-Smith is confident a central west entry could be competitive at next month’s State Cup in Orange.
This will be the third year Orange has hosted a State Cup round and the 2013 event will be the first of the four-round series.
Even though there are four events, each is independent and they crown their own winners.
There are already around 16 teams nominated for the Orange event on April 6 and 7 but Slack-Smith wants to see some host-town players enter.
She believes there is potential for the central west to enter especially after seven players from the region were selected in NSW junior teams earlier this month.
Blayney’s Elissa Blowes and Laura Reeks were selected in the NSW under 23 women’s side and Dubbo’s Connor Sherlock was chosen in the men’s under 23s.
Bathurst’s Hayden James was picked in the under 19s with fellow Bathurst player Zac Morrison named as a shadow in the side.
Kelso’s Jordan Naylor and Lachlan Thomas have been chosen in the under 17s men’s side.
“I’m throwing down the challenge to local players to make it a 20 or 25-team competition,” Slack-Smith said.
“There are a lot of talented players in the area and I think they could get the numbers to enter teams.”
Last year’s division one men’s winners, the ACT men’s under 23s, won’t be contesting the Orange event this time around.
Slack-Smith said the competition will still be strong.
“Division one is serious,” Slack-Smith explained.
“Because this is the first round of the year, teams will be blowing the cobwebs out and coaches will be working on their rotation and strategies. Division two is more social.”
Orange City Council sport and recreation advisor Ben Keegan said it was great to see the relationship with Volleyball NSW continue.
The State Cup will be held at the Orange PCYC on April 6 and 7.
The remaining rounds will be held at Illawarra (May 4-5), Newcastle (May 25-26) and Sydney (November 16-17).
For more information go to www.nswvolleyball.com.