AFTER years of debate, the dilapidated stables at Orange Showground have been demolished.
The stables were long considered one of the showground’s key historical features, however, following a storm in January 2009, it became increasingly unstable.
Council spokesman Allan Reeder said all parties, including the Orange Show Society, agreed to the demolition following the advice of a structural expert.
“The consultant recommended it be demolished. It was also a risk to kids or campers who might have tried to stay there,” he said.
Mr Reeder said it took several days to disassemble the stables and remove the timber, which was unable to be salvaged.
He said getting all parties to agree to the demolition had been a lengthy process.
“There were issues with the show society coming to terms with the damage and how they were going to run the show without it (the stables),” he said.
Mr Reeder said this year’s show would use portable stables, with discussion underway as to whether a more permanent structure would be built.
Council paid for the demolition and the cleaning out of a large section of open drains on the site as part of ongoing maintenance.
Show society president Peter Naylor said he was happy to see work commence on upgrading the showground.
“I think it’s a great idea, it’s the start of revamping the showground,” he said.
“I hope it keeps going.”
The Orange Show will be held at the showground on April 20 and 21.