A SNAP of cooler weather is proving no deterrent to snakes with one veterinarian treating three snake-bitten dogs in the last week.
Canobolas Family Pet Hospital veterinarian Geoff Freeth said his most recent patient, a border collie, died at his surgery on Wednesday after being attacked in residential Spring Street by a brown snake, the second most venomous snake in the world.
Dr Freeth said by the time Sam came into his surgery he was too unwell to survive his encounter with a snake even after being treated with anti-venom.
“He was severely affected when he came in,” Dr Freeth said.
Dr Freeth said it was hard to tell how many times Sam had been bitten.
“It may have been multiple times, sometimes dogs end up fighting snakes,” he said.
Dr Freeth said Sam had probably been bitten early on Wednesday morning and by lunchtime his family had noticed he was lethargic and rushed him to the surgery.
According to Dr Freeth it usually takes from 20 minutes to six hours for snake bite symptoms to become visible.
Sam’s owners and their children were “quite upset” and coming to terms with losing the family pet, Dr Freeth said.
Dr Freeth said he wasn’t surprised to learn the snake had ventured into a residential street having previously heard of brown snakes being found in William Street and Kite Street.
“Whenever we get a new vet we always say just because a dog’s in town it doesn’t mean the dog won’t be bitten by a snake.” Dr Freeth said.
Dr Freeth said there was no sure way to deter snakes from entering residential properties but people needed to ensure their were no rats and mice in the vicinity.