Group vows to fight restaurant location

RESIDENTS concerned about the proposed location of Orange’s second McDonald’s fast food restaurant have vowed to continue to fight the development, following a meeting on Thursday night.

The group of residents living near the site, on the corner of Telopea Way and Farrell Road, want the fast food chain to be stopped from opening an outlet in a residential area.

The residents want Orange City Council to veto the proposed site in favour of one in the designated tourism zone on Leeds Parade.

Organiser Susan White said as a result of the “productive meeting” the group decided to lobby councillors individually to garner support for the relocation.

“We’re hoping to get a few councillors on our side,” she said.

Mrs White said all councillors had  been approached via email and had been asked to attend a meeting at the site at 5.30pm on February 27.

She said it was important for councillors to visit the site when it was busy.

“A lot of them have never been here when it’s busy so they need to see it at a peak period,” she said.

Mrs White said one of the group’s key concerns was traffic congestion in the area, which  would cause “chaos” once McDonald’s opened.

“There’s high traffic in that area, it already doesn’t work,” she said.

“There are a lot of reasons why we’re against that location.”

Mrs White said the group would also speak out at the council’s upcoming Sustainable Development Committee meetings.

“We’re not against McDonald’s or development, it’s just the location,” she said.

“We think there are more appropriate places for it to go.” 

tracey.prisk@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop