The names of residents who write to council opposing or supporting development applications could soon be published in the council meeting agendas if Orange City Council’s attempt to reintroduce the system is successful.
Up until earlier this year, the names of people who made submissions to council regarding specific developments were publically available.
The push to change the the policy came after a development at Monday’s sustainable development committee meeting received three letters in opposition.
Mayor John Davis said it was his “pet hate” that the names had to be removed from the letters.
“If we’re not prepared to print the names they shouldn’t be in our book,” he said.
“I think we’re entitled to see original letters.
“In good faith they’re signing their names ... it’s not as if we’re going to give them a hard time.”
Cr Chris Gryllis said he was happy for the names to be left off copies of the letters, as long details were supplied to council.
Cr Glenn Taylor said censoring names from the council agendas defeats the purpose of accepting public submissions.
“People can still say they want their names withheld but to have government policy enforce the rules ... is big brother,” he said.