CABONNE residents will take part in a historic election in September.
It will be the first council election since wards were abolished last year.
Previously, voters elected two candidates from each of the six wards that represented different areas of the shire.
However, at this election, constituents will vote for all council members and will not be restricted to specific areas.
Cabonne mayor Bob Dowling said the abolishment of wards allowed everyone to vote for the right candidates.
“The previous system meant some people living on the outskirts of villages had to vote for people on the opposite side of the shire because of how the wards were divided,” he said.
“Now it means that in the upcoming elections, residents across the shire will be voting for the same candidates and will be able to vote for the candidate they believe will best represent them, regardless of where the voter or candidate lives.”
Cr Dowling said he was confident the abolishment of the wards would mean more candidates would put their hand up.
“I’m confident this move will also help to attract more and better candidates at the elections,” he said.
Cabonne Council abolished the ward system in December after an application to the Local Government Minister was approved.
Cabonne Council will conduct an information session for prospective councillors at 5pm on Wednesday, July 11 at the Cabonne Council Chambers in Bank Street, Molong.