EAST Orange Post Office owner Conrad Silvester sustained burns to his face and hands trying to contain a fire at his Clifton Grove property yesterday morning.
It is believed the fire started at around 11.15am in the engine of one of two cars parked in a car port adjacent to the house. The fire also caused minor damage to a section of the house’s exterior.
Mr Silvester and his wife Jane were transported to Orange hospital and were in a stable condition yesterday afternoon.
Mrs Silvester was expected to leave hospital following treatment in the emergency department, while Mr Silvester was expected to be admitted for further treatment.
A young woman, believed to be the couple’s daughter, who was at the house during the incident, didn’t require hospital treatment but was treated for shock at the scene.
Orange Fire and Rescue NSW station officer John Edwards said the couple was lucky not to have been more seriously injured during the incident.
Mr Edwards said the quick response times of the Fire and Rescue crews and the Rural Fire Service ensured the damage was minimal.
“The owner did a great job in trying to contain the fire but in doing so sustained burns to his face,” he said.
“It was lucky the fire was contained to the vehicles and the outbuilding.”
Rural Fire Service duty officer Brett Bowden said if emergency services had arrived five minutes later the house may have been badly damaged by the fire.
“It was good that the homeowner was able to get the vehicles out of the car port and into the garden,” he said.
“The fire had the potential to get into the roof space of the home and once it’s in there it’s very difficult to contain.”