Courts cop weekend deluge

THE Anzac Park netball courts were inundated with mud and debris after Saturday night’s deluge, which also covered many Orange streets with mud.

Orange Netball Association president Michael Allen said four of the eight courts had been affected.

“The mud, debris and silt is covering three courts but four courts are affected ... two courts quite severely,” he said.

“I’d like someone to rectify it as speedily as possible.

“I trust for the sake of kids who play netball it won’t take too long. It’s lucky it wasn’t in the middle of the season.”

Council spokesman Nick Redmond said the dirt covered about 400 square metres of the courts and was caused by the construction of a drainage line at a new housing estate at Thomas Brosnan Way.

“[The developers] had the appropriate level of sediments control but it just didn’t cope with that amount of rain,” he said.

Mr Allen was concerned the courts’ surface could be damaged.

“The season doesn’t properly start for a while but it remains to be seen if there is any permanent damage,” he said.

“The rectification doesn’t seem so straightforward but it may need high pressure hoses.

“There is no doubt the rain was very welcome, but it’s a pity it had to wash on to the courts.”

Mr Redmond said council staff were expected to clean the court’s surface but the costs would be met by the developer.

“We’ll take some care to get it off because we don’t want to damage the rebound ace [court] surface,” he said.

Winter Street has been closed between Dairy Hill Place and Thomas Brosnan Way since January 14, while work was underway to construct a drainage line and intersection to service a new subdivision on the eastern side of the street.

Mr Redmond said the council had not received any reports of serious damage from the weekend’s rain but were still assessing the city’s streets.

clare.colley@

fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop